Sunday, May 31, 2009

Baby Kits and JW SOP Discussion

After a long 30 days we finally have kits born here. Looks like we will be having a soft of a "baby boom" for our Convention Juniors. This is the first "set" who were written down to be due the 29th. Here's what we have so far.

Dam: WWR Estrella, Siamese Sable, 1 Leg
Sire: WWR Alladin, Opal
1 kit born 5/30/09
(Estrella still has kits in her, hopefully she has the rest soon!)

Dam: WWR Sisily, Black Pointed White, 4 Legs
Sire: Thumperhill's Ammadon, Seal, 5 Legs
4 kits born 5/31/09

Dam: BlueStar's Candy, Broken Siamese Sable
Sire: Sable Point Buck owned by DayKota Moat
5 kits born 5/31/09


Fabulous! A total of ten babies so far. I see I am going to be overwhelmed in the next few weeks. I'm glad though my does are pulling through. These are our Convention hopefuls~! I already see promising structure to a few of them.


The Standard Proposal Changes continue to be discussed on the Yahoo Groups JerseyWoolyList. Many points are being made in many different prospectives.

I am not going to direct quote anybody, simply for respect.


1) Jersey Woolies years back had more point on head then body. While the Jersey Wooly had good heads, they did not have good bodies. The points standard was changed to arrange more point on body, and less on head. As we got our bodies, we started loosing our heads and ears, therefore we want to give the JW those points back for head/ear for consistency.


As only a breeder of five years, I did not know this. This makes it a tad more understandable, by not completely. Consistency isn't just handed to you. No matter what you try, people have their own beliefs and standards to what is true. Some people use brood stock, some people do not. Some people use "parts" to fix their faults, and some people do not. Regardless of this, many breeders do market and exhibit their brood stocks. This continues the cycle, helps some, and too, sometimes win on the tables. I feel exhibitors are upset when a animal with a brood head set wins on the table. In that case, find out what makes that rabbit better and do something about it. If it wins on its body, when maybe it is saying something...?

Secondly, I do not think our bodies are overall good enough to take this step. Heads/ears can be fixed in one generation. Bodies not quite.


2) Judges picking rabbits who should not have won.


I change this into a different topic because I stand up for the judges. I feel every judge trys their best and all have the intention of picking the right rabbit. Every judge judges different, and comprehends the standard differently. A very good point was given, "Several judges could all be in a conference room and given all the same information, but it does not mean they will all apply it the same." Which is very true, since we are all human. Some judges give juniors the benefit of the doubt. Some do NOT compensate with their size or flaws. It all matters on the judge. Here in California we NEVER see a "rabbit who shouldn't have won." Maybe we have good judges, maybe we are just forgiving and understanding to taking a loss, or both. I feel if it really is that big of a problem, ask the judges "Why" that rabbit won. More than most of the time, it gives you closure if it really is that bad. I understand how frustrating it is when there IS a bad judge, I've had them too! You know, the ones that practically fall asleep while judging? I think I could pick a better wooly hidden under a set of pots! LOL.

I think a lesson I've learned in judging is not to get so discouraged in judging. Whatever happens, happens. I trust my opinions first and formost, and then the BREEDERS in my breed THEN the judges. If I don't agree, then I don't agree, and I just keep value to my own herd. I feel many other states do not have as friendly of exhibitors and breeders as us in California. So maybe you cannot get another breeders opinion or even want one. I do not know.


3) Judge's Education


Some fret when they see a judge going over a SOP prior of judging. I used to get confused too, wondering if they really do know what they are doing. When I look at the bigger picture most times they do. Randy Shumaker, is a very well known, high respected and favorite judge from MANY all over the Nation. There is no clue why he isn't. I respect, and really absorb what Randy has to say while his judging. As my favorite judge, I trust his opinions most. I've seen him look in his SOP more than enough times! :) And its never been bad, hey, don't we all check back in our SOP from time to time? I can only imagine what is like for an ARBA judge, I would be too.

If you disagree, from my understanding, it is okay to talk to a judge after judging about how they are judging(don't quote me on this, LOL). It is not okay to fight with a judge about their judging. I prefer questions to be asked after because not only is it against the rules, but it is also halting the judging. Not only does this annoy the judge, it too annoys your fellow exhibitors.

It is becoming more common for Judge's Ed. meetings at some ARBA Shows. I think if this is a serious problem, contact ARBA or your local rabbit club and try and set one up. You see them more at "bigger" weekend shows, like state/mini conventions.


Just a few of my opinions on these matters. I hope everybody is having a good day~

Susie
WWR

1 comment:

Keep said...

I LOVE to see a judge read the SOP. It can be a bit worrisome with the Belgian Hares, but you know, I'd rather them NOT KNOW and read it right in front of me than pretend they know what they are doing when they don't.

Shoot, half the time I don't even remember what the max weight on a wooly is LOL!