Friday, April 29, 2011

Awful Cute Around Here Lately...

Spring is in full blast and I am having baby bunnies coming straight out of my ears! Other than this morning's havoc of freezing kits, everyone seems to be having decent sized litters with good health (I'm seeing a lot less peanuts, larges, and max factors. But I am now knocking on some wood!) in the litters being born this season.

Though one thing I am noticing is that the more adapted the rabbits have become to our beautiful Northern California- Delta & Bay Area climates, the more stressed they seem in colder weather rather than hot. I see a lot of depression in my bucks and really lazy building when in comes to nests in the cold months. In fact, just this winter I was housing a rabbit in my room (which I never do) for what I am pretty certain was depression. I didn't think he was going to make it but just the first couple nights inside, warm, and lighted was a dramatic change into a whole new rabbit again. Strange!

This morning I was able to revive 6 cold kits out of 8. The two, most severe, were the ones who did not make it. I have a hard time with hypothermia in kits and I know the process of warming must be very gradual to prevent shock. I seem to do a good job and they'll start kicking and talking again pretty well and then they seem to crash. It's rather heart breaking and nearly brings tears to my eyes every time...

...getting off of the sad moments. I currently have 22 healthy kits ranging from newborn to 6 weeks of age! It's pretty exciting and I have a lot to say as pictures come! :)

Right now I will share my oldest kits, whom are out of Wonder's HALO X WWR Vixen. There are 3 Blacks born, 2 bucks & a Doe. I actually have 3 does out of a total of 17 sexed bunnies right now, I am super over run! However, I am keeping the buck in this litter because I think I might like him more than his sire and I am not ready to let the dam go yet so I am deciding to sell the little doe. The other buck is of pet quality so I don't have any photos of him yet.

Photobucket
Little Junior Doe.

Photobucket
Junior Doe again, she is so precious!

Photobucket
HAUTE MACHIAVELLI- Black Junior Buck


I have found my long lost love for my favorite color group... self! These blacks are so pretty and I am excited to keep the buck. I might show him in the next couple of weeks!

Here they were a couple weeks ago...

Photobucket
So sweet, right?


It seems it's been a rather lushful spring for many this time around. I love and look forward to much more pictures! And not just for bunnies... just this week I have seen 3 litters of Labrador Retriever puppies come into work. 1 litter of 11, 1 litter of 10, and another litter of 8. That's a whole lot of love!

Here's to the weekend!

Susie :)

No comments: